Do you not want to give up on bacon? Great, because you don’t have to. I’ll show you how to make super crispy vegan bacon in just 20min. Eating plant-based has never been so easy and delicious.
A seasoning that "makes anything taste like bacon."
For this recipe, I used the “Original Bacon Seasoning” by Deliciou. It is supposed to “make anything taste like bacon.” It is straightforward to use and might be interesting for you if you’re planning to cook vegan bacon more often.
However, if you don’t have it at hand, don’t worry. You can easily substitute it with paprika, nutritional yeast, and garlic powder.
Liquid smoke - incredible BBQ flavor for vegan meals
Don’t you just adore the smoky smell of a mid-summer BBQ? Doesn’t that just make your mouth water? Liquid smoke is the perfect way to bring the much-desired BBQ flavor to vegan meals. Furthermore, liquid smoke is also great for your health since it is free of additives and preservatives.
Fun Fact: Liquid smoke is actually made from smoke. Sawdust or chips from hardwoods such as mesquite or hickory are burned at high temperatures. The vapor in the smoky air turns into condensation droplets. These droplets are collected with a condenser. Finally, the liquid is concentrated downward to produce a stronger flavor.
Rice paper – incredibly versatile
Let´s get started
Our plant-based bacon will be the perfect combination of salty, sweet, and smoky. The soy sauce is responsible for the salty component; the maple syrup adds sweetness, and the liquid smoke rounds everything up with a smokey flavor. Of course, you can also change the ratio of these three ingredients to your liking.
- 6 pieces of rice paper
- 3 tsp Deliciou "Original Bacon Seasoning" alternative: 1 1/2 tsp. paprika, 1 1/2 tsp. nutritional yeast & ½ tsp. garlic powder
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- ½ tsp liquid smoke
- ½ tbsp maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F) top and bottom heat.
- Cover one baking tray with parchment paper.
- Whisk together all the ingredients for the marinade.
- Place one sheet of rice paper over another, dip it into a bowl of water for a brief moment to soften it slightly. Then with a sharp knife, cut the rice paper into 3-4 cm large strips.
- Now dip the strips into the marinade. Make sure they are covered nicely on all sides with the marinade. Place them on a baking sheet. Whisk marinade from time to time to keep it from separating.
- Brush the strips with the leftover marinade. The strips must be well coated with the marinade. Otherwise, they taste too much like rice paper.
- Place the strips in the preheated oven and bake them for 7-8 min.
- Keep an eye on the strips while baking because they may burn quickly. In this case, remove them immediately from the oven.
- Enjoy the strips in burgers, with scrambled eggs, or just plain.
- The level of crispiness should depend on how you want to use the bacon. Very crispy bacon is extremely well suited for burgers. However, for scrambled eggs, you might like your bacon a bit softer. Adjust the baking time according to that.
More Recipes with Deliciou
- Burrata Salad with Deliciou “Veggie Dust”
More info about Deliciou: https://eu.deliciou.com/